5 Reasons that make Canyon Lake, Texas a Great Texas Retirement Spot
A Great Texas Retirement Community and Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
In CNBC’s annual survey for Best cost of Living (see “Best Cost of Living in CNBC’s Top States For Business 2011”) Texas was ranked 5th in the nation for affordability, coming up three spots since the previous year primarily due to the low cost of groceries and gasoline.
If Texas is good, why is Canyon Lake great---especially for retirement? Two reasons immediately come to mind: the beautiful lake and breathtaking hill country views. However, what you may not know is that Canyon Lake is also good for your pocketbook and your health.
5 Reasons Why Retirement in Canyon Lake, Texas is Affordable and Healthly
1) Low Property Tax Rates – Canyon Lake and New Braunfels are both located in Comal County with one of the lowest property tax rates of in any major metropolitan area. Only $12.74 per $1000 of home value - the “effective” tax rate. This is 28% less than the Dallas area, the next nearest tax rate of all cities compared; and a full 37% less than Houston.
2) Low Utility Prices – In a comparison of utility prices on BestPlaces.net the Canyon Lake/New Braunfels/San Antonio area had 6% lower utility prices than Houston and 23% less than the Dallas area.
3) Home Appreciation – In a study by Bestplaces.net, home appreciation over a one year period ending in September 2011 showed that homes in the Canyon lake area had a positive appreciation of .45% while homes in areas such as Austin, Houston and Dallas showed a depreciation of as much as 2.21%.
4) Air Quality – Air quality is based on Ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air as reported by the EPA. In a ranking of air quality with 100 being the best score possible Canyon Lake scored 83 with Dallas being its closest competition for air quality with a score of 32.3.
5) Water Quality –The EPA measures watershed quality using a complex system of calculations on 15 different indicators. In a ranking of best water quality (with 100 being best) Canyon Lake was given 100 (as was New Braunfels) while Dallas ranked an 87 and Houston received the lowest ranking of all cities we compared with only a 37.
So save money, breathe our clean air and swim in our crystal clean waters and have a fun and happy retirement in Canyon Lake!
If you would like further information about retirement and gated communities in Canyon Lake, Texas, click on our Retirement Kit.